Skip to main content

Weather With You

I think I may be a fair weather runner.... the rain, hail, sleet, snow and freezing temperatures over the last couple of weeks seem to have an major impact on my motivation. I've had to force myself into my trainers to get out there and run. Sometimes, like yesterday when the wind and rain didn't stop, I haven't even got out of the front door at all. My parkrun times in April have been getting slower not quicker, although running through driving rain does seem a good excuse for being a little bit off PB pace. Long runs have been non-existant for the last three weeks, although I did manage some speed work and hill reps last week - mainly thanks to Kirsten's encouragement.

Perhaps its just a natural lull after the excitement of achieving my half marathon goals in Stafford back in March. Or did I eat too much chocolate cheesecake in celebration? Maybe I just needed to let myself recover for a little bit longer, or I've reached a plateau. Perhaps I've been expecting a bit too much of myself - it's not that long since running at all was a big challenge for me - and I need to remember what I've achieved so far and enjoy my running.   


Or maybe I need to get serious about my new goal!

Just before the bad weather set in, I signed up for the Potters 'Arf Marathon - its on Sunday June 10th and follows an up and down route through Hanley, Fenton, Longton, Bentilee, Bucknall, Milton, Baddeley Green, Sneyd Green and back to Hanley. It includes the notorious (and very steep) Anchor Road and just before the end, there is another steep incline up Milton Road a.k.a. Heartbreak Hill.

I've run parts of the route many times and actually ran the whole route earlier in April with the 6 Towns Runner as part of his 2012 challenge to run 12 half marathons in 12 days.


I'm hoping that my training for the Potters 'Arf is back on track after completing 9.5 miles yesterday. Admittedly, I waited for the sun to come out, but then I did get out there and run. It was still windy but so much warmer than it has been over the last few days and the rain stayed away completely. And it was enjoyable to be out there running again. Today doesn't look so good but I hope to be out and about with the Potters Trotters this evening to keep up my training. And to enjoy it too.

Now, I have just under 6 weeks to prepare for my next half marathon challenge - wish me luck!

Happy Running!

LizT

Comments

  1. Great post Liz, admittedly it is a struggle when the bad weather is upon us. But having the Potters arf' on the horizon is a great motivator, also knowing that the central heating is on a home also helps ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B