Skip to main content

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here. 

After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family.

After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction.

My first race goal was accomplished as I started with a smile and enjoyed the first mile which had us zigzagging through the side streets of Marlow.


Start Line Selfie

I knew the hills would come in the first part of the race and it wasn't long before we were leaving Marlow behind and heading out and up into the Chiltern Hills. The uphill sections were tough but conditions were very much in our favour; there were really only a couple of places where it was very muddy. I was reminded of those cliff top walks in Guernsey earlier in the year and kept on climbing. I did my best on the downhills too, although there was one section where technique went out of the window and I just got down the best I could.


A route of two halves

In amongst all those steep ups and sharp downs, there were open fields, forest paths, tracks and country lanes. Just after leaving the first checkpoint, there was a mile that seemed to involve an endless series of kissing gates... a little bit later, I seemed to be constantly climbing over stiles. One field seemed to be blooming with mini-triffids (or perhaps I hallucinated that). But the views were lovely and I tried to take it what I was sending as best I could. The photo below was taken somewhere in the loop around Hambledon; this was a lovely place to run and one of my favourite moments on the route.

The joy of the trail!

The section from Hambledon back down to Marlow was the hardest part of the day for me; I knew that the steepest of the hills were behind me and that I was back at river level for the return to Marlow and then on to Windsor. But then around about mile 16, the path shifted away from the river and up another steep section... it wasn't that steep and it didn't carry on that long, but I was really struggling and slightly disoriented, especially as I passed through a narrow and dark tunnel.

A tunnel to where?

I paused, remembering goal number 2 for the race - enjoy the adventure - and had a little conversation with myself:

Did I want carry on? Did I want to reach the finish?

Fortunately, the answer was "yes" so I set off again with a new resolve to get back to enjoying the adventure; the route went past a golf course and some bemused looks from the regulars on the driving range, I had a chat with the village postie who replied with "well, that's a long way" when I described the route and where we would finish. She wished me luck and I carried on; enjoying the now. We zigzagged a bit and were then back in Marlow for the only section where the route overlapped; retracing the first mile back to Marlow Rugby Club.

The crew at Pitstop 3 greeted all the runners with lots of enthusiasm and the ringing of a bell. I refilled my water bottle, grabbed a couple of snacks and set off again; with just a half marathon to run now. I knew I would be ok.


Views from the Route

For most of the next few miles, the route hugged the river and the terrain was a mixture of grassy fields and gravelled footpaths. The river was a hive of activity; rowing boats, sailing dinghies, river cruises all going past and providing a distraction as I put one foot in front of the other. We crossed the river at Taplow and then back again at Maidenhead - every time, the route emerged into populated areas, it seemed strange and incongruous. A group of cyclists congratulated me on my efforts and again their only comment was "well, that's a long way" when I explained where I was running.

With just over 10km, I stopped for one last refuel and then resolved to just keep going; no more stops. With just under 3 miles to go, Windsor Racecourse came into view and I could hear the announcements and finish line commentary... sadly it was on the other side of the Thames and there wasn't a bridge in sight! The river kept twisting and turning and the finish line seemed to be getting further away and not closer. There were a few people along the path here who gave cheers of encouragement: "well done", "not far now". They promised that the bridge needed to get back to the finish was just around the corner... and finally there it was!

Dragging myself up the ramp onto the bridge, I emerged onto a busy road and finally got back across the Thames... the noise of the traffic was a shock to my ears having been cut off from the outside world for most of the last few hours. Then there was a bit more zig-zagging through a housing estate and another short section along a main road and then there it was; the entrance to Windsor Race Course was up ahead to the right and finally I had less than 1km to go.

I took a deep breath and reminded myself of the last of my three goals for the race; finish with a smile. I ran with as much purpose and energy as I could muster and then I was there and I was done.

Crossing the Finish Line

Crossing the finish line, smiling, collecting my medal, smiling, picking up my kit, smiling, refuelling and stretching, smiling.

Smile at the Finish

Today, I ache all over and am struggling with stairs.

But I'm still smiling; it was a long way and I did it.

Comments

  1. Wonderful to read Liz, well done you amazing lady! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great effort Liz, congratulations. Nice to just read about it, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B