Skip to main content

Up!

Race start!
The Ipstones 5 was another new race for me this year and not just a new race but a new place too... I'm still getting to know the area around Stoke-on-Trent and the little village of Isptones on the edge of the Peak District National Park was an unfamiliar destination. I knew two things about the race... one, it is part of a fundraising day at the village fire station and two, it goes up! I've had a good few weeks of training since launching myself on the comeback trail, so I was hoping for good things.

Race sign-up was efficient and I then completed a short warm up to prepare my legs for the hilly miles to come, especially the promised 1 mile up with which the race starts. The field seemed smaller than many of the NSRRA races I've completed, but there were still plenty of familiar faces as we lined up at 3.30pm outside the fire station to get underway.
Downhill: #636 thanked me for waiting
until after the photo before overtaking!
It was a tough slog right at the start of the race with the immediate hill climb, but I tried to keep a steady pace and just after the first mile marker - a little wooden signs in the shape of a fire engine - we reached the high point of the course and I could catch my breath. First two kilometres completed in almost 12 minutes, which meant I would have to push on if I wanted to break 45 minutes, the notional target I'd set myself.

The downhill kilometres which followed were indeed a lot faster - I completed the next four at an average pace of 5:08 minutes per km and was back on target for sub 45. I would have liked to have gone a little bit faster still but yet again I struggled with the changing terrain, particular on the steepest downhill section on a gravel track. Fortunately, there don't seem to be any photos of me from this section - the scared rabbit look isn't a good one!

About 6kms into the race, after "hurtling" down those gravel paths as fast as I dared, my left hamstring started to protest strongly. I don't know if I over-stretched whilst trying to keep my balance on the downhill, or it was something else entirely, but I know it was hurting. I've had aches and pains in races before and felt tired, but I don't think I've ever really felt "injured". It was hard not to focus on the pain in my leg. Should I stop? Or slow down? Or ignore it and hope it goes away?

Home straight, downhill, "sprinting" face
with my pony tail bouncing up and down!
I pushed on, grimacing with every step. Then there was one more hill which was a real struggle, my kilometre time sneaking over 6 minutes again as I faltered to a walk for about 10 seconds. But I didn't stop and the very steep, but thankfully short, climb was soon over. Just over 1km to go then, most of it downhill. For the last part of the race, I tried to ignore the pain and finish as strongly as I could, trying to hold my position and not let any Ws sneak past.

Soon, I was rounding the last corner and could see the finish line up ahead... where Mr T was helping with the responsible job of spotting the first runner in each of the NSRRA groups. Fortunately for me, I'd stayed ahead of the other W runners and my name went down on his list as he cheered me over the line. I'd also managed to break my 45 minute target and my official time was 44:42. On the race front then, job done and I was really pleased with my efforts on the day. My 12th NSSRA race (the minimum requirement for the competition) and I've managed to get maximum points in Group W in 10 of them.

However, once I stopped I felt the pain in my hamstring again - I had managed to block it out for a little while - and headed over to the physio who diagnosed a hamstring strain and recommended at least 2-3 days of rest before testing it out with a gentle run. The ice packs would be required when we got home.

The Runner's Reward: 10 Cans of Cider
I caught up with Mr T and a few other runners, finding out how everyone else had faired on the up and downs and cheering on fellow Potters Trotter Anne Davies, who managed yet another PB. Then the presentations were underway and I discovered the immediate significance of Mr T's role of spotting group winners - I won a prize! There had been a mug at Uttoxeter but for this race, my prize as group winner was a crate of beer - under instruction, I picked the cider!

My hamstring still feels sore so I'm in reluctant rest mode, but I hope to be up and running again soon. I need to practice those downhills!

Happy Running!

LizT

PS The Dark Fruit Cider was lovely - I managed half a can on Saturday night!

PPS Thanks to Kirsten Owen for the lift to the race - really appreciated - and congratulations to her for another fabulous performance for a big course PB.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B