Skip to main content

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing".

I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summer to be different. So I was a spectator and cheerer-onner at the Stone 10k, helped with timekeeping at the Berryhill 10k and went for a long training run with Liz instead of taking part in the Cheadle 4. I've had a bit more capacity to try some different races too, like the JCB Lakeside 5 this week. It was hot and hilly, and I spent the middle 3 miles trying not to throw up, but it was good to do a race for the first time. A change is as good as a rest. I've also had a bit of extra time to devote to non-running activities too and have made a new batch of cards for Rosedawn Designs (although some of the designs do have a running theme).
Making a mess = creativity!


Keep on running!
I'm not sorry that I've not been running around Birches Head quite so much in the last few weeks. Instead, the Potters Trotters have gone on tour and we've been trying out off-road, trail and fell running as part of the Staffordshire Moorlands AC Summer Series. I got a bit of a taste for it as part of my training for the London Enduro and I've been loving the opportunity to test myself. I've still been running with my club mates but at different locations and over very different terrains. The highlight so far has definitely been Shuttlingsloe (the mini-mountain between Macclesfield and Buxton). I'd made a pact with Bobbie that we would run this together and help each other get round. We actually spent a lot of the run saying sorry to each other... sorry for keeping you waiting whilst I work out how to get down this ridiculously steep downhill section, sorry for keeping you waiting whilst I work out how to climb up these rocks, sorry for keeping you waiting whilst I stop and take a picture because the view is just amazing! The most important thing was that we completed the run together and we did it. I hoping to make it to one more race before the end of the season.


On Top of the Mini-Mountain!
(Photo courtesy of very helpful marshal)
I'm not sorry that my parkrun times have been slow and steady and sometimes involved walk breaks. I've been running with different friends, keeping junior runners company and only very occasionally going all out. I'm slowly working my way through the 90s and hope to complete my 100th parkrun sometime in September. Before then, I'll be doing lots of volunteering, some parkrun tourism and keeping my parkrun focused on fun. I always think there's something to celebrate at parkrun.

P7197042
That's me under the brolly for a rainy parkrun...
photo by Richard Longley
I'm not sorry that my weekly mileage is starting to creep back up again, all in preparation for the Spitfire Scramble is a 24hour team endurance challenge at Hornchurch Country Park in Essex, taking place in the last weekend in August. Whilst we were all still sleep deprived after our Wimbledon Common adventures, an idea to take on another team challenge was suggested, an event identified and our place secured thanks to Write This Run and the organisers of the Spitfire Scramble. Team Write This Run is back! We've just over a month to get ready and then we are going to run as a team for 24 hours. If 12 hours was hard, this is going to be exhausting. If all goes to plan, each of us will run at least a marathon in distance. 

I've been gearing myself up for my next big running challenge by running 20+ miles over the course of each of the last 3 weekends. And the miles are only going to increase. I've set myself the goal of running 30 miles over two days at the peak of my training. I'm looking forward to training runs in Scotland too, as we head up for the Commonwealth Games next week, perhaps even some beach running on the west coast. Not racing quite so much has given me time and focus to prepare for this event and also to learn a bit more about famous son of Stoke-on-Trent Reginald Mitchell, the man who invented the Spitfire. On Sunday, my running route took me past Reginald Mitchell Court and  even incorporated Reginald Mitchell Way. I am sorry that I didn't quite make it to Spitfire Way this time though.. maybe on my next long run!

What are you (not) sorry about in your summer of running?

Happy Running

Liz T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B