Skip to main content

The 100

This Saturday (or parkrunday as it has become known over the last three years), I reached a significant parkrun milestone - my 100th run. I spent the week before hoping that freak storms or an unexpected roller coaster ride didn't put Hanley parkrun in jeopardy, and of course, that I remembered my barcode (thanks to Kirsten for the reminders).

100 parkruns. 500km. 

For those of you who know me from Hanley parkrun, it might not seem strange or unexpected. You might think I've always been a runner. For those of you who have known me longest, the idea of me completing even one parkrun may seem ridiculous. You knew me when I wouldn't (or couldn't) even run for a bus.

At my first parkrun in November 2011, there were 39 runners and I finished in 26th place in 28:40. I managed a 9-week PB streak at Hanley from December 2011 to March 2012, improving my time to 24:53. For my 50th run, in April 2013, I ran a very chatty 27:26 alongside Kirsten Owen and we finished in 32nd and 33rd). I was presented with my red 50 t-shirt the following week and I've worn it proudly every week since.

For my 100th run this weekend, there were 153 runners and my run companions for another chatty run were Andy, Julie, Sarah and Paul. Kirsten was our run director for this run. I finished in 124th place in an easy-paced 33:18. It may seem that my parkruns are getting slower.... but that just allows them to be even more chatty and with lots of opportunities for supporting others. I really enjoyed my run today - no pressure, just running with friends and sharing some cake and haribo afterwards! 

Crossing the line for the 100th time!
My parkrun vital statistics...

- 88 runs at Hanley and 1 at Pollok Park (Glasgow), Burgess, Leeds, Walsall, Tollcross (Glasgow), Harrow Lodge, Carlisle, Bushy, Mile End, Congleton, South Manchester and Heaton Park. 

- my Hanley parkrun PB is 24:37 set in November 2013

- my parkrun PB is 24:23 set at South Manchester parkrun in May 2013

Celebrating with a mosaic cake... not quite Great British Bake Off but there wasn't much left!
To my running statistics, I've been run director at Hanley at least once a month for the last 18 months and co-event director since June 2013. If it wasn't for volunteering, I might have got to 100 runs sooner. But I'm not convinced. I think it's the volunteering aspects of parkrun that keep me involved. If it was just about running, I'm not sure I would have come along so regularly - missing a parkrun wouldn't be such a big deal.  Now, it feels wrong to miss a week. If I'm not run directing, I take every opportunity to run but rarely run fast (or fast for me) as there is much more fun to be had with a chatty run.  And if I'm not running, I love being volunteering as run director too and being part of the parkrun community.

Another mosaic... the lovely people of Hanley parkrun celebrating with me!
I look forward to receiving my 100 club t-shirt in due course and being the runner in black instead of red for a while... although hopefully it won't arrive ahead of the week when I'm the run director, as it would feel slightly strange to present it myself!

Happy parkrunning

Liz T.

Comments

  1. Great blog post again Liz here is to your next 100 parkruns
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another brilliant blog post Liz but I would just like to add for anyone reading that while Liz was doing all of the above she also Inspired, helped and encouraged hundreds of runners in her time at Hanley. I'm proud to call her a friend and I certainly can say that through her I now "get" what running is really about. Thank you Liz we cant wait to celebrate 250 with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B