Skip to main content

High Tide

For the last few days, we've been staying in west Perth, at the Riverview Hotel on Mount Street. We booked this hotel before our trip, based on a good deal for advance booking and its proximity to King's Park, which is a wide expanse of parkland, gardens, sculptures and memorials high above Perth and overlooking the city and Swan River. It is great for escaping the sunshine, with lots of shady areas and a lovely cafe (with free wifi).

What we didn't realise is that Mount Street also seems to be the running centre of the city. From our hotel balcony, where this is a view of the river if you peer through the trees, there are a constant stream of runners and walkers going up and down the Mount. If this was Stoke, this was definitely be called a bank and seems to be the sligthly more sunny equivalent of Anchor Road or Milton Road. 


And when you get to the top of the bank and into King's Park, there are even more runners going about their training, as well as big groups of people enjoying a picnic at the end of the day. We went for an evening run on Tuesday, just about an hour before sunset. It was a little bit cooler but we were still glad of all the shade we could find. Our route took us arounfd the outside of the park overlooking the Swan River, then we snaked back through the Botanic Gardens, where the gum trees all give off amazing scents as you run by. We won't win distance awards for our running at the moment - 3 miles in the heat was tough enough - but taking in the views as we ran made for a very enjoyable experience.


Another running challenge in the area is called Jacob's Ladder - a climb of over 270 steps from river level up to the top of the Mount Eliza Escarpment (honestly, that's it's name) and coming out at the top of Mount Street. At whatever time of day you pass, there are people running or walking up and down and up and down. We included an upward climb in our run on Thursday after a couple of laps of the lake in a nearby park. I managed to get from top to bottom without stopping but it was definitely more of a walk than a run.


It's not all running though. We've spent plenty time exploring too...

- a pilgrimage to Karrakatta cemetery so Jon could find the grave of a soldier from the First World War. He'd read a book about the wartime experiences of Christopher Beechey and his brothers and wanted to find his final resting place.

- a touristy afternoon in Fremantle, including a visit it to the old prison to hear tales of escape and recapture.

- escaping the heat by riding the free air conditioned buses around the city - we've been fom Claisebrooke in the east to Harbour Town in the west and stopped off at quite a few places in the middle.


- explored the little arcades of the central business district - amidst all the modern buildings are some lovely examples of architecture from Perth's early days in the 19th Century.

- read books (just finished High Tide by Jude Deveraux) and eaten ice cream in cafes and on park benches - there is a very big cafe culture out here. Fremantle even has a "cappuccino strip". Our new favourite cafe in Perth is The Botanical Cafe in King's Park. I think my sister would like to be in charge of this place!


- explored some of the 400 hectares of King's Park - without running. Jon spent time wandering amongst the war memorials (whilst I hung out in the Botanical Cafe with an iced mocha) and we ambled our way along the tree top walkway, through the Botanic Gardens and even climbed a tower (which seemed to be another popular spot for Perth's fitness junkies).


- sung the night away at sing-a-long-a Grease at the open air cinema at the far end of the park... Jon was slightly skeptical at first but he was definitely joining in by the time we got to Greased Lightning! We were very impressed by the inflatable cinema screen and bean bag seating. Getting home afterwards was a bit of an adventure too... Jon had to show off his Spider-Man skills by climbing over a fence to get us back into our hotel after our entry code didn't work. He was secretly quite pleased with himself!


So that was Perth... We're off to the Swan Valley next for some wine tasting and gourmet food adventures, via a side trip to Canning River. Our home from home for the next few days, Fern Cove B&B, has comfy sofas, a shady garden and a parkrun on its doorstep!

Happy travels
LizT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B