Skip to main content

On the Waterfront

A Half Marathon? In Blackpool? In February? Are you sure that's a good idea?

Hoping for Calm Seas!
Stormy seas, freezing temperatures, biting winds, driving rain.... just some of the images conjured up when you think about Blackpool in the winter - not really appealing for my first half marathon since the Potters 'Arf last June. But I was persuaded to sign up for the Great North West Half Marathon by the promise of a flat-ish course and a fun day out with my Potters Trotters running buddies Liz and Bobbie...

Designer Sunglasses!
As it turned out, the sea was calm, the rain stayed away, the wind was cold but manageable (at least when running south) and the sun even came out for a little while to give me the opportunity to try out my new Blaze running sunglasses (won in a competition from Women's Running Magazine). The course was flat-ish as promised and all the signs were good for a fast time and hopefully a new PB.

The race started and finished just outside the Blackpool Hilton - after collecting our race numbers and timing chips, we made use of the above-average facilities to prepare for the race ahead. We had just over an hour to wait for the start of the race and I demonstrated yet again that I'm not a waiter... I tried to limit the amount of energy I used up in anxious pacing but I'm not sure I succeeded. Eventually though it was time to head out on to the slightly chilly but not freezing Blackpool seafront and start the race.
Out and back along the Seafront
The course is two laps along the seafront so is completely free of traffic, heading north from the start up towards Bispham along the top path (next to the tram lines) before dropping down to the lower path next to the beach to head south again, almost as far as Blackpool Tower but not quite. Then it's up to the top path and north again back over the start/finish line and around again. I'd been warned by Bobbie and Liz, who'd completed the race before, that it was not the most exciting route... I think the course map from my Garmin demonstrates that fact, especially in comparison to some of the crazy patterns I made whilst snow running in January.

Given the expected monotony of the route, I opted for music for this race and was glad of the distractions of my latest running playlist, particularly in the most exposed and quiet parts of the course. The spectators were concentrated around the start/finish area so for long stretches of the run, it was very quiet. I did have a few mid-race chats with other runners and was spurred along by catching sight of the Huddersfield Running Bunny (on tour from Huddersfield parkrun). However, there weren't too many sights or sounds to break up the run.

I'd been hoping to run a fairly even pace throughout the race just under 9 minutes per mile and complete the race in a time slightly faster than1 hour and 56 minutes (my time at the Potters 'Arf). The first few miles were run into the wind and it felt cold but manageable. I was running comfortably but at a slightly faster pace than I probably should have done... I reached half way in just over 55 minutes so was on for around 1hr50min if I could keep it going. However, second time around, I struggled with the wind between miles 7 and 9, keeping my pace pretty constant but working much harder. I got some energy from my emergency jelly babies but felt pretty tired by the time I turned back south again, finally out of the cold wind. I definitely regretted leaving my energy gels at home!

For the last two miles, I focused on keeping pace with runners just ahead of me - there were two runners in stripy blue shirts that I targeted and it seemed to work. Then it was the final turn, up on the top level of the promenade and back towards the Hilton. For some unknown reason, the bright blue sign, which I'd passed underneath at the start and then the half way point, had disappeared as I headed towards the finish. But I summoned up enough energy to cross the finish line with a sprint finish in a time registering on the official clock of 1:52:58, eventually rounded down to 1:52:33 on chip time. A new PB - I was a bit disappointed with myself for going a bit too fast at the start and tiring at the end, but really pleased with the time itself!

Time to pick up my medal, chat with other runners who'd already finished and and cheer home Bobbie, Liz, Andy and Billy. I think Liz was the most excited of all of us, improving her PB significantly and looking really strong at the finish line. Then it was home again for a rest and an afternoon of treats, including some lovely Danish pastries supplied my Mr T and a large bag of Chocolate Popcorn - I just can't resist it.

Now it's back to training - my next challenge is to build up to run 20 miles at a race in March... I'll just keep following my training plan and getting advice from my running buddies.

Happy Running

LizT

PS In an earlier post (Pretty in Pink) I wrote about the Alsager 5, my first race in the North Staffs Road Runners Association. I've since learned that I finished first in Group W, earning a maximum 50 points in Race 1. What an unexpected surprise!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B