Skip to main content

Snow Falling on Cedars*

I lined up on the startline of the Ashby 20 alongside Potters Trotters running buddies Bobbie and Liz with a great deal of trepidation. This was to be my longest run ever (I'd managed 18 miles last week) and much further than I'd ever raced before, with half marathon being my previous limit. I was pretty sure I could complete the distance, even if walking was required, but I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy the experience. And, more importantly, whether I might feel motivated to do more. For many people, Ashby 20 is a stepping stone to the Virgin London Marathon, or other spring marathons and there were 1,000 people taking part. I don't have a VLM place but I've been roughly following Liz and Bobbie's training schedule and this was the next step. I'd been receiving lots of encouragement to make the most of my training and good health and take on a marathon. Could I do it? Am I brave (or foolish) enough to sign up for a marathon myself?

The Course Map
But first, the race. The course looks like a stretched out tennis racquet, with two loops round the racquet head and the start and finish along the handle. What I'd not realised was that a small section at the start / finish was running on grass. Given recent rain, the grass was muddy and getting muddier by the minute, as runners and spectators made their way to the startline. It wasn't an issue at the start but I knew this would make the finish just that bit more interesting and make a mess of my lovely clean running shoes.

My plan for the race was even pacing at approximately 9:30 per mile (or 5:55 per kilometre) and a target time of 3:10:00. The difficulty with my strategy was going to be pacing the hills - the course is definitely undulating as the elevation chart shows and I wasn't really sure how much the hills would slow me down, especially on the second lap. According to my Garmin, there was about 600metres of climb in the race.

I started off reasonably well and was right on pace for the first couple of miles. I ran for a little while with a lady from Long Eaton running club and we kept pace together reasonably well. 

It was at about 5 miles in that the fun really began. The mathematician in me likes to break up the race distance into fractions... 2 miles means I'm a tenth of the way there, 4 miles is a fifth of the race done etc. So as I reached quarter distance, the weather began to change and the weather forecast that suggested cool but dry wasn't proving particularly accurate. It felt colder and the clouds got that little bit darker. Then the first few spots of rain. And then as we climbed higher and were out into the more exposed parts of the course, I began to notice little white specks landing on my leggings. And it was sleet more than snow, which just made me feel wetter and colder. I like snow. I don't like sleet.

For most of the next ten miles, the sleet and rain continued, sometimes heavier than other times, but persistent. I was regretting my wardrobe choices and felt very cold. I was beginning to wish that the water stations - enthusiastically operated by members of the local running club and their families - were handing out hot chocolate instead of water, which actually felt too cold to drink at one point. But I kept going - encouraged on by supportive marshals and a few familiar faces on the route. Jelly babies provided instant sugar at regular intervals and I used energy gels a couple of times as well. It  can't have been all bad - there is actually of photo of me smiling whilst running... check out this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nozzawales/8566240428/

Keeping warm was part of the challenge as I started the second loop and then reached half way in around 1:33, just ahead of my target. Second time around, I really focused on conserving energy on the downhills to be ready for the next uphill. The strategy seemed to work well - I overtook several runners as the race progressed, especially when running up hill, and not too many people came past me. At about 16 miles, I started to feel tiredness in my legs. I noticed more and more runners walking up the hills and it was difficult not to join them. But I kept going. Fortunately, the sleet had stopped so that was a huge relief.

The impact of the muddy finish
At 17 miles, I knew there was just the equivalent of a parkrun and I'd be finished. There was a particularly cheerful marshal at this point too, reminding everyone that the hard work was done and we were nearly home. That spurred me on again. As we completed the second loop, the course veered back towards the centre of Ashby and there were less than two miles to go. There was a sting in the tail of course, with a very sneaky hill at the start of the final mile. And then we back down towards the finish - and the mud. The last four hundred metres were across a field and the mud had really churned up by the time I'd arrived. If I'd had the energy for a sprint finish, it was almost impossible to get any grip. So I slipped and slid my way to the final 20 metres or so, which was on a tarmac path, and then put all my effort into a sprint for the line and a wave to the spectators, as my name was called out over the PA system. I was done... physically exhausted but mentally exhilarated. I'd achieved something I never thought I could do... and was inside my target time too with a chip time of 3:07:15, finishing in 717th place and 78th in my age category.


Post-race relaxation!
My first priority at the end of the race was to get warm... fortunately, finishers receive a very snuggly hoody so that was easily accomplished. I opted for a cup of tea from the burger van too; something to warm my hands on. I missed Bobbie's finish but we were both there to cheer on Liz, whose reaction at the finish was simply inspiring. She sprinted for the line and proclaimed the race experience as "awesome". Her enthusiasm was infectious, helping us to forget about our aches and tiredness. Treats from Costa Coffee then time to head home, wash off the mud and relax. Mission accomplished.

And so what next. My next milestone should come on the first Saturday in April, when I'm hoping to complete my 50th parkrun. After that, there's the next race in the North Staffs Road Runners - the Newcastle 10k. And on April 28th 2013, I'm going to run the Greater Manchester Marathon. The deed is done, I signed up today, despite the tiredness I'm feeling after yesterday's exertions. Carpe Diem. Come and cheer me on in Manchester if you can - spectator information on the website. I'm going to be running in support of Cancer Research, in memory of my Dad.

Happy Running

LizT

*To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if there are actually cedar trees in the woods around Ashby de la Zouch. But as the sleet and snow was falling today, this was the movie title that came into my head, and thus prompted the title for this post on the Ashby 20. I suppose the other option would have been "Singing in the Rain" but since ipods were banned from the race, there wasn't actually that much singing going on. But there was definitely snow, and it was falling on me, if not on cedars!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B