Skip to main content

Field of Dreams

Another week, another NSRRA race. The races have been coming thick and fast since the beginning of June and I've been feeling the pressure of my 7-race winning streak in Group W and the impact on my legs! My last few races have been tough and I've had to rely on my inner Pollyanna to find some bright spots.

View from the Kitchen!
As race day dawned for the Berryhill 10k, my enthusiasm for another race was distinctly lacking. The rain was back and conditions did not look favourable. But I'd arranged a lift with Liz and Mr T was coming to support me too. In the end, we were pretty lucky with the conditions - the rain disappeared, the wind eased quite considerably and over 160 runners lined up for the start of the main race, which involved one small lap and two larger laps around Berryhill Fields - which I see from my kitchen window every day.
Despite my best efforts at organisation - I remembered safety pins to attach my race number - I forget my Garmin and so would be running "naked" in a race for the first time - no split times, no distance markers, no information about pace. I was actually quite relieved, as I would run based on how I was feeling rather than trying to run at a specific pace or beat a particular time. This seemed to take some pressure off and I felt quite relaxed at the start.
The race began with a bit of a scrum at the top of an incline, with the first kilometre or so mostly downhill. I kept pace with several of the other Group W runners over that first section and then eased ahead alongside Potters Trotters team mate Bobbie as we reached the start of the first substantial climb. The course combines several different underfoot conditions and that that first hill was up a grassy bank - it wasn't a constant climb but rather lots of short steep sections followed by a slight dip, repeated to the highest point of the course. The terrain was tough but fortunately not too muddy.

It was at this point on the first lap that Bobbie powered ahead - I stuck with her for as long as I could but gradually fell behind. She became my target for the rest of the race - I didn't think I could catch up with her but I tried to keep her in my sights for as long as possible. It was tricky, as there were loads of twists and turns on the course, and she was getting further ahead. But every now and then, I'd spot her pink Potters Trotters vest up ahead and keep pushing on. I received lots of encouragement from Mr T, Potters Trotters star supporter Justine and Billy at various points on the course too.

It was quite a solitary run after that first lap - the relatively small field of runners spread out and there weren't many other people out and about, especially at the furthest parts of the course. The second lap was probably the most difficult for me - I wasn't sure of the route and had to concentrate on the runners up ahead to make sure I went the right way. As I reached the end of the second lap, several of the faster runners passed me and finished the race... if only!
And then it was the final lap and I actually enjoyed it this time - I was running as fast as I could on the day and felt like I was maintaining pace pretty well. I even overtook a couple of runners before the finish, which gave me a boost. I gave it my all on the last climb and from the top of the course, I took a moment to look out and take in the view. I managed a smile for photographer Bryan Dale too, although not quite the enthusiastic wave I'd managed at Stone. Then it was down to the finish and I tried to lift my pace to finish as strongly as I could. My official time was recorded as 56:52 and I was 29th lady, 139th overall.

The race was done and it was great to be cheered into the finish by team mate Bobbie - who completed her race almost 2 minutes ahead of me. And then there was the usual post-race catch ups and we also stayed around to cheer home the rest of the Potters Trotters – some great runs by all those who took part.
And so my winning streak is over... and I couldn't have lost out to a more deserving runner as Bobbie took the 50 points in Group W. She delivered an amazing run on the tough course and beat her best time by almost 4 minutes. I'm very happy with my second place finish in the group  this time - 399 points out of 400 still sounds pretty good to me.

My next NSSRA race is the Cheadle 4 on July 14th - another new location and I'll just have to wait and see how I feel on the day. I may even run "naked" again as I actually enjoyed running without feeling the need to respond to every beep of my watch. And then on the 21st July, I'll be following in the footsteps of Jess, Usain and Mo as I take part in the Anniversary Run in Olympic Park - my sprint finish on that day will be on the track in the Olympic Stadium!
Happy Running

Liz T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B