Skip to main content

The Late Late Show

Two years ago, I lined up on the startline of the Stafford Half Marathon for my first ever half marathon. I'd followed a 12 week training programme, gradually building up my running distance and increasing my speed. I nervously joined the other runners in the starting pen and set out on a sunny Sunday in Stafford to achieve my 2 hour goal. The race itself was a bit of a blur - I remember dropping my jelly babies and having a struggle in mile 12. But I did it, my first half marathon. A quick look back at my blog post from that day reminds me of my achievement but also how far I've come with my running (even if my hair looks remarkably similar).
After the Stafford Half in 2012 -
warm but proud of my achievement
This weekend, I lined up for the Stafford Half for the second time, having been offered the chance of a last minute place (thanks to Kate's uncle). My marathon training plan for this weekend suggested a half marathon race so it all seemed like a good plan, even if I was still recovering from my exertions at Ashby the week before. The race would also be a half marathon debut for six more Potters Trotters, so I was looking forward to cheering them on too. We'd planned to get all of the Potters Trotters together before the race for a group photo but lots of nervous pacing and a very long queue for the toilets meant the photo call would have to wait until the race was run.

It was chilly in the start area, as I tried to work my way forward in the starting pens, but it looked like the sun was threatening to break through, so I opted for running vest and shorts and discarded my other layers. I felt very relaxed and was looking forward to the challenge - my last half marathon at the beginning of January had been in cold and wet conditions at the start of my marathon training programme. I'd achieved one of my goals for 2014 that day (only 5 days into the year) with a new PB, but it had been hard work and I really struggled in the latter half of the race to sustain my pace. I wanted to find out in Stafford if I'd improved by speed and stamina... could I run faster and would it feel easier? Unlike Ashby though, I hadn't set myself a time goal - I just wanted to run on "feel".

I spotted lots of familiar faces as the hooter sounded and the race was underway, crossing paths with Kate in the looping section around Stafford Town Centre then running for a few minutes alongside Hanley parkrun regulars Mark Cooper and John Alcock at about mile 2. It was great being cheered on by Mr T, Meg and Bobbie, Justine and Harry, Sally and Sue out on the course too.
Running alongside Mark and John
from Hanley parkrun at Mile 2
Still Smiling for the Camera at Mile 12

Back in January, I'd been watch-watching for pretty much the whole run. On Sunday, I made a conscious effort not to look at my watch too much (something that had worked well in the second half of my run in Ashby) and I stuck to that most of the way round, missing most of the km beeps and only occasionally checking in on my average pace - hovering just over 8 minutes per mile as the route got into the more exposed and hilly section around Tixall.

The two main climbs on the route come at Radford Bank (about 3 miles) and Tixall (6-7 miles). I've run on a lot of hills since then and the climbing part didn't seem as much as a challenge as I remember from 2012. This time, I just kept pushing and found myself overtaking lots of runners on the uphill sections, even if some of them did get past me again on the downhills. I had a conversation with another runner, who complemented me on my uphill technique - a sign of my strength, he said. A little complement but a real boost - thanks to that mystery runner - especially as we battled a cold headwind through these country lanes.

Comparisons between 2012 and 2014... over 30 seconds quicker per km across the race
I continued to overtake runners as we returned towards the town centre and surprised Mr T with my speedy arrival at mile 9... I think he was worried I'd gone off too fast and couldn't sustain the pace. A small part of me was probably thinking the same thing but I continued to push on, rather than slow down, as we ran alongside the main road for a while before the mile long section along the old train line back into the finish. This was my least favourite part of the run - you can't see much beyond the edge of the path, it was quite narrow so overtaking was tricky and the path basically just seemed endless. I was spurred on though by the watching crowd - just behind me was a fancy dress runner who was getting lots of attention, so there was quite a buzz.

As we emerged from the trail back onto the roads, I spied Justine from Potters Trotters stuck in a traffic jam and trying to find her way to the finish. A high five and a load cheer from Harry pushed me on as we ran down onto the river bank path into Victoria Park, only a mile to go now. Bryan Dale was there as we ran up into the park, capturing lots of great photos again. The local radio was also broadcasting and there were lots of spectators too - there definitely seemed to be more people supporting this time compared with 2012. I heard a small child say "ooh a lady, well done lady" but the significance of the comment didn't register until much later. A couple of zig zags and it was into the town centre for the final few hundred metres. There was lots of noise coming from the main street as I closed in on the finish line.

Trying to wave to the crowd...
Kirsten, Sharon, Bobbie and Meg cheering me home
(thanks to Shaun W for the photo)
I heard shouts of encouragement as I turned the final corner  - time to look up and sprint for the finish line... the clock showed 1:47:03 as I crossed the line, giving me a chip time of 1:46:25. I was absolutely amazed by the time - I hadn't slowed at all in the final stages of the race and my last km was in fact my fastest - I'm not sure I've ever managed that before. I was buzzing - a race where I had total control from start to finish. Mr T was even caught out by my speed... arriving in the town square just after I'd finished! A look at the results later showed I was 62nd lady and 11th in my age group - no wonder the small child in the park had been so surprised by "a lady" getting to the finish.

The day wasn't done though, as there were still lots of runners to cheer and encourage. It was great to watch all the other Potters Trotters finishing the run, with a mixture of pride, exhaustion and joy on their faces. I knew exactly how those first time runners felt - that had been me two years ago in this race. Time for a few tears, lots of hugs, big smiles and treats. I opted for pizza.

Celebrating with the Potters Trotters - L to r: Lisa, Liz, Juliet, Kate, Kath, Anne, Indi, Shaz, Michelle
Kneeling: Ruth and Liz (with a double thumbs up from Sally at the back)
It was a really satisfying run from a personal point of view, setting me up brilliantly for the last four weeks of training before the London Marathon and my sub 4 hour goal. Just one more long run to fit in before the tapering begins. It was also a great day to be a Potters Trotter.

Happy Running

LizT

Comments

  1. great run at Stafford half!!!! you smashed it out of the park :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B