Skip to main content

Wish Me Luck

When I started running, I didn't really know quite where my running would take me, other than up and down the canal towpath where all those early runs took place. Over time, as my runs got longer and sense of my local geography improved, my running took me further afield and to more and more varied locations. I've run in the Olympic Stadium and of course the streets of London for the marathon back in April.

Last week, my running, and specifically my involvement in Hanley parkrun, took me to a Black Tie Awards Dinner, complete with red carpet, champagne and a celebrity photo-op with Colin Jackson. We'd been nominated for a Sport in the Community Award and it was a brilliant night celebrating a wonderful event that I love being part of (even if we weren't the first finisher).






On Sunday, my running took me back around my local area for my 10th half marathon, the Potters Arf. I had a brilliant day, seeing some interesting sights on the course, cheering on other runners and running with a friend as she completed her first half marathon. There were a lot of smiles as well as the customary happy tears at the end of the run. I never expected my running to develop to the extent where I could help and encourage other people... Most days, I still feel like a beginner! The Potters Trotters even ended up in the local paper and were named Runners of the Day on the I Love Running Facebook page!


On Saturday, my running is taking me into the unknown as I join up with Team Write This Run at the London Enduro challenge on Wimbledon Common. I will be part of a team running 10k loops from 6pm to 6am. I've seen some pictures from the race team - it's going to be muddy. I've spent the last six weeks trying to prepare an event that I really don't know how to prepare for... I've been doing long runs, off road runs, two 10k runs in a day and then last week, I ran 17 miles in one day in three runs, coming home between each run to refuel, get changed and rest. I found that I got really hungry on run 2 but actually felt fresher on run 3. But I've not been able to practise my night time running, so the 10k at 3am could be very very interesting!

Thanks to Liz and Laura at Write this Run for this amazing but definitely challenging opportunity, and for sourcing us head torches, snacks and a tent. 

I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Wish me luck!

Happy running 

Liz T

Comments

  1. Good luck Liz! It'll be a great experience. Can't wait to hear all about it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B