Skip to main content

Roobarb and Custard

"It's all gone quiet" said Rhubarb. "Too quiet" said Custard.

Three months have gone by since my last blog post and it feels like it might be almost that long since I went for a run. I've dragged myself round cross country courses at Winsford, Stafford Common and Leek without too much enthusiasm, completed a few more parkruns, and been out with my running club much less frequently than usual. It's been a struggle - a combination of work trips, ill health and apathy have seen my trainers abandoned in the hall way and achieving my mileage target for 2014 looking less and less likely.

Is this the end? Have I actually lost my running mojo? I wrote a post on the Potters Trotters blog trying to motivate myself as well as my club mates. I concluded the post by deciding I need to get back back to my running roots: I'm not sure I've quite found the answer yet for getting my mojo back.... But I'm sure that it will come back and I'm hoping it will be in the company of the pink ladies from Potters Trotters. That was where I learnt to enjoy running in the first place.

So over the last few weeks, I've been taking steps to get back on track. I've been running as often as possible of late with my running friends from Potters Trotters - I donned my Christmas pudding outfit and returned to the scene of my first proper race, the Christmas Pudding Run at Cheddleton. I completed the run alongside my club mate Liz and we aimed to enjoy ourselves. We did. We worked hard but we focused on being happy we were running. We repeated the trick a week or so later, taking on the Dales Dash around Apedale. It was fun. We survived. We said thank you to the marshals and spectators who cheered us on. We paused to admire the view. We didn't look at our watches (too often) and I couldn't tell you any statistics about the run at all, not even our finishing time. In the hunt for my mojo, my own finishing time seems to have lost its importance.

I've been to the club as often as work has permitted and enjoyed creating running routes to take in the Christmas sights of Abbey Hulton, Baddeley Green, Milton and Birches Head. My highlight was probably our Christmas run - the fancy dress was in use again as we ran as a group and posed for photos by over-decorated houses. We even sang a few Christmas Carols. And we tried a speedwork session for the first time in months just a couple of days later. It was hard but it felt good to push ourselves just a bit harder than we have been recently. Thanks to the wonder of Strava, I also know that I managed to run the top loop of the Hanley parkrun course faster than in months when I went for a training run last week.

Slowly, very slowly, I feel like I'm enjoying running again and perhaps ready to set myself some new challenges for the year ahead. They are certainly going to be some differences in the first few months of 2015, as Mr T and I set off our little adventure down under. My first parkrun of 2015 as a runner is hopefully going to be in Rockingham in Western Australia. I think the sun might help!

Hopefully, I won't be this quiet again in 2015 - look out for some running and travel stories via the blog.

Happy running

Liz T.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B