Skip to main content

The Secret of Chimneys

When you're travelling for an extended period of time, there are some days when you feel like you're doing something incredibly different from the normal, exotic even. And there are other days where the everyday routines of life take over and it feels just like being at home. We've had a real mix over the last few days...

On Saturday, our day was pretty much like most other Saturdays. We started the day with parkrun, lingered in the cafe long after the run was finished, had bacon butties for lunch, did two loads of laundry, read books (The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie), watched some cricket on TV and went to the chip shop for our tea. The only significant differences to home were the location of the parkrun (Canning River instead of Hanley) and the temperature... peaking at about 37C and feeling far too hot to do much of anything. Our accommodation made it feel even more like home; although it was a B&B, we basically had the house to ourselves. Even the TV programmes being trailed are reminders of home... I'm a Celebrity, Dragon's Den (called Shark Tank over here) and Gogglebox are all launching in Australia this summer.


On Sunday, we travelled from Canning River to Guildford in the Swan Valley... the buses and trains ran on time, albeit infrequently and we were able to check into our new accommodation a little bit early. The big selling point of the Guildford Landing Spa Suite is obviously the spa - we don't have one of these at home! 


Guildford itself is a strange mix... Lots of lovely old style wooden frame houses from its early settler days of the 1820s and 1830s but with the railway line and a busy road dividing the old town in half. It was pretty quiet when we arrived on Sunday but even quieter on Monday, which didn't matter too much as we were still in lazy days mode - drinking iced coffees and reading have been our main occupations (two more books completed). We did find a really lovely Italian restaurant for dinner though, earning our pasta with a sunset run among the vineyards.

On Tuesday, we went by train and bus to visit Kalamunda, up in the Perth Hills. There were great views back over to the centre of Perth and put towards the sea from the bus and as we walked along a shady trail on the old railway line, after visiting the Kalamunda Historic Village... think Beamish but on a much smaller scale. The oldest buildings date back about 150 years and many had been transferred as whole buildings from other parts of the town. The school house was set out in 1930s style... but the old inkwell desks looked exactly like the ones from my primary school days. There were a couple of wartime exhibits that kept Jon's attention too. 

On Wednesday, we headed up into the Swan Valley to explore the vineyards. Most of the vines grow on very flat sandy soil on the banks of the River Swan. 


We popped into a couple of the smaller wineries and did some tasting before cooling down with a sweet treat... Ice cream from Mondo's.


It's now Thursday and we're back in Perth... another change of accommodation as we've checked into the YHA. We feel slightly old in comparison to the regular clientele... But we're definitely not the oldest guests and don't look too out of place. Most of my previous big trips have involved staying in backpacker accommodation, so there is a sense of the familiar... the communal kitchen, the book swap shelf, the launderette. This place seems a bit fancier than I remember though... the pool and gym were a bit of a surprise to me and Jon was definitely pleasantly surprised by the on-site pub! Shame we missed out on Happy Wednesdays!


We've also had another chance to explore a bit more of Perth, with an afternoon spent in the cultural quarter. We started at the Western Australia Museum before wandering around the Art Gallery of Western Australia, with Jon delighted to spot Wedgwood, Clarice Cliff, Doulton and Moorcroft pottery pieces amongst the displays. I spotted a Lowry for my northern routes! We also had a lovely lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant in Northbridge - another of Perth's "cafe culture" centres. 


And now, we've joined a tour up the coast from Perth to Exmouth, stopping off at exotic sounding locations such as Nature's Window, Monkey Mia, Ningaloo Reef and Coral Bay. We're looking forward to wildlife encounters, dramatic scenery and a little bit of adventure. We might even find somewhere to go for a run!

Happy travels

Liz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B