Skip to main content

The Verdict

On Sunday, we said a sad farewell to Western Australia, as we flew from Perth to Auckland to begin the next part of our adventure. We've really enjoyed the three weeks spent in WA and packed quite a lot into our last weekend too. We had a day at the WACA, watching England against India in a one day international. Strangely for us, we actually got to see England win a cricket match... that didn't happen at all on our last trip to Australia in 2011.

It was a steaming hot day on Perth for our cricket visit... The humidity was making it feel more like Columbo (according to Jon anyway, I've never been to Sri Lanka). I just knew it was hot. Our booked seats were in an uncovered stand but we managed to sneak our way undercover after about an hour of play. We were still hot but at least avoided sunstroke!


Before play started, we were able to seek shelter from the heat with a vist to the cricket museum, a rabbit warren of a building that used to a private house. Each room was a treasure trove of cricket memorabilia. Jon spent most of his time lost in his cricket-watching youth... the Dennis Lillee gallery. According to the museum curator, most of the items were donated by Dennis Lillee when his wife told him it was time to clear out the junk in the garage! I also spotted the ball bowled "underarm" in the fractious match between Australia and NZ (that's one for the cricket historians). There was also poignant display dedicated to Phil Hughes:


England's success was short lived - battered by Australia in the final on Sunday. We're quite glad we didn't get tickets for that game. Before play started, we also had the chance for a photo with the Cricket World Cup Trophy... we'll be watching at least 2, possibly 3 games whilst in New Zealand.


Our Saturday was again a parkrunday, although this one was epic even for us. We left our hotel at about 7.25am for the 8am start at Heirisson Island parkrun and finally got back just after 1pm, after a postrun breakfast with the Claisebrooke Cove parkrunners, including the Japp family who brought parkrun to WA. Heirisson Island parkrun is a relatively new addition to the parkrun family and one of the smallest runs we've been to in a long time... 43 happy runners taking on a 2 lap course on an island in the middle of the Swan River, with kangaroos at one end and dolphins swimming by (sometimes). We loved it (but the heat was tough for running) and received a very warm welcome and a lift afterwards to the Funky Lizard cafe in Claisebrooke Cove (less than a mile away) to join the breakfast chat.


With most of the day devoted to parkrun (and buying new running shoes at the outlet mall), we didn't have much time to spare before heading off to the Perth Arena for the Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular - the music from Doctor Who played by the WA Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ben Foster, introduced by Peter Davison (the fifth Doctor for those of you who keep count) and with special appearances from Daleks, Judoon, Ice Warriors, Silurians, Ood and the Silence. Unlike many other concert goers, we sadly didn't have fancy dress costumes to hand, although Jon was wearing his cyberman socks. No photographs allowed, unfortunately. 

Sunday was spent packing up then visiting a few more of Perth's tourist attractions including the Perth Mint, before a late night trip to the airport and our flight to NZ. We spent a couple of days catching up with ourselves at a little motel close to the airport, in a place called Mangere Bridge. We quickly got used to a 10 degree fall in the temperature - very welcome - and had to dig out rain coats for the first time on our trip - not such good news. We climbed Mangere Mountain, which was an erupting volcano 18,000 years ago and has archaeological evidence of early Maori settlement too.


We also completed our first run in NZ, running round a volcanic lagoon. It felt a lot easier in the cooler conditions!


And now we've arrived in Hamilton, where we've booked a cottage and this will be our view each morning for the next week:


We've unpacked everything, been shopping and got settled in. We've checked out the neighbourhood and even had a chat with some of the neighbours, although they did mistake us for the "new people" from No. 1! We've been for a run along the river bank, and made it home again afterwards, even if there was some confusion about who was waiting for whom and where! 

On Friday afternoon, we're meeting up with my old friend Anna and her family. I was on my way to Anna's wedding seven years ago when I first met Jon, so she's partly responsible for us getting together. It is going to be fun to catch up over the next week.

Happy travels

Liz T

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B