Skip to main content

Flagstones Are Your Friends

The Dusk Til Dawn Half Marathon... a half marathon in the dark, on a course up hill and down dale around the Derbyshire villages of Hope and Castleton. I said 'yes' to taking part without knowing much more than that!

The race started in Hope at about 5.45pm, the official time for sunset on Saturday night. We were layered up, wearing our headtorches. We were novices, totally out of comfort zone and really not sure what we were letting ourselves in for.

Every change of direction seemed to bring different underfoot conditions... after a mile along the road from Hope, we followed a gravel track, then what seemed like a rocky river bed before turning up across the fields to Back Tor. We climbed up a rocky incline to the top of Back Tor, actually much less scary in darkness than in daylight for me, then crossed a ridge line to Losehill Summit in the fog, where visibility was just a few metres even with our headtorches.

Boggy fields, muddy trails and then more road and on to my favourite part of the course, Cave Dale. It was another steep up but it was easy to follow the path, the steep sides of the gully meaning there was really only way we could go. The only drawback was the rocks underfoot, sharp through our trail shoes and a bit slippy.

We then crossed fields and soggy wet grass, which drenched our feet within a few minutes but we all agreed it was a welcome relief from wobbling about on rocks. Another road, a slight confusion with the route (we only got a little bit lost) and then onto the final big climb, up the stone steps to the top of Mam Tor. It was a lungbusting climb but I actually enjoyed it and felt secure with my footing, managing the darkness and fog with an extra torch in my hand. It was cold at the top and my extra layer, my trusty Helly Hansen long-sleeved top, was a welcome addition.


Another Good Medal For My Collection
The flagstones were our friends... we knew there was a sharp drop off and the flagstones kept us on track and away from dangerous cliff edges. But from the top then came the hardest part of the course for me, the descent to Hollins Cross. It was a test of my nerves, coming down the steep rocky descent, taking tiny steps, thinking about every foot step for a couple of seconds before being brave enough to step forward. In a couple of places, the only way I could get down was sitting down and sliding forward on my backside! Not elegant but very effective.

It's a good job it was dark... you couldn't see the drop!
So close to the end now, just a few hundred metres on a rocky path, and we emerged onto the lane we'd run up many hours earlier. Safe terrain for all us and we ran the last mile or so with such determination, but with big smiles on our faces. We were actually going to do this. With a huge sense of relief but a great pride in our achievement, we made it back and celebrated with tea, cheese oatcakes and a walnut whip!

Race completed. More physically and mentally demanding than any race I've ever done. I ache everywhere but I'm so glad I said yes!

Happy Running

LizT

This post was first published in the Potters Trotters Newsletter, October 2016.

Comments

  1. Don't fancy running on a slippy steep path like that in the dark!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B