Skip to main content

An Injured Runner's Guide to Marathon Training

On Sunday 15th October, I'll be taking part in the first Birmingham International Marathon.

With my two previous big city road marathons (Manchester and London), I followed a detailed training plan, incorporated speeds sessions, gradually built up my long run distances and went to the race start as prepared as I could be. In Manchester, everything on race day (except the course measurement) went according to plan. In London, the pre-race pressure I put on myself for a specific finish time got the better of me and the wheels came off at half distance; the rest of the day after the high point of Tower Bridge is just a painful blur.

I'd had the same idea in mind for preparing for this race too. I signed up last year with a discount code earned by running in the Birmingham Half, probably the furthest in advance I've ever entered a race. I'd planned 12 weeks of structured training following my Race to the King adventure. I wanted to see if I could get close to my marathon PB. But the best laid plans and all that... training started well but then a torn calf at Thunder Run and several weeks of not running have meant everything about the race will be focused on getting round. It will most definitely be a celebration of "finish lines, not finish times". My long runs have been limited, my speedwork non-existent but I've done my best to spend lots of time on my feet.

So with two weeks to go, I've been looking back over my recent achievement completing 53 miles along the South Downs Way at the Race to the King, to draw some inspiration for race day and help me to complete my next challenge:




Every race needs a start-line photo opportunity

The start line of the Race to the King was in a field at the end of a country lane and it was a bit of a wet start to the day. We got a little bit of shelter in the race marquee and of course posed for start line photo. Then it was the usual pre-race ritual of queuing for the portaloos, deciding how to many layers of clothing were required and pondering whether suncream would be necessary (despite the fact it was raining). It didn't all go according to plan - my Garmin wouldn't even turn on, never mind find a satellite, and my phone did the same. Thankfully, Julie's technology worked fine, so we have photos from on the route and a strava record of our run! I've decided I'll be running Birmingham without my watch too - mile markers will be enough to mark my progress and it will stop me obsessing about my time (hopefully).

Running is just one foot in front of the other


For a lot of the early part of the race, we didn't need to worry about getting lost or navigating the route. There were plenty of other runners taking part and everyone was in good spirits and happy to chat. The early part of route had some narrow sections and we were regularly running in single file, with no opportunities to overtake (if we'd wanted to). At the narrowest points we slowed to a walk, which probably helped to conserve energy, even if it felt a little bit frustrating at the time. At one point, we passed several groups of Sea Scouts on expeditions, all coming the opposite way along the trail and carrying loads of kit. It was a tight squeeze!

Even at top of the steepest hill, I can still smile

There were lots of hills like this one during the early stages of the race, but the hardest climbs were most definitely between miles 15 and 24. Each climb seemed to get steeper and the downs were almost as much of a challenge as the ups, if not more so, and a couple of times, I had to resort to sliding down on my backside. I just couldn't work out how else to get down!

And, of course, when you get to the top of the steepest hills, desperately trying to catch your breath and not collapse into a heap, you will always find the race photographers, waiting to capture the agony. But this time, we managed to smile.


If I fall, I can get back up 

Somewhere in that challenging section before pit stops 2 and 3, I hit the deck. We were running through a woodland and the surface under foot was a little bit uneven. I was tired and still reeling from the endless ups, trying not to think about how tired I felt and how much further there was to go. I knew the next pit stop wasn't too far away and it couldn't come soon enough. And then splat, full on face plant, covering myself in dust and a bit of mud too.

Fortunately, I wasn't hurt and just wanted to get back up and keep running before anyone noticed. I managed the first part, but not the second - it was actually quite reassuring (if a little embarrassing) that other runners stopped to check if I was ok.

A cup of tea works wonders

The mid-point refuelling station actually came about 24 miles into the route. There were all sorts of food on offer, including cake, but it was the cup of tea that did the trick for me. The secret of ultra marathon running is regular fuelling, trying not to reach a point where you run out of energy. The frequent pit stops, and the extra support from Bryn and Millie Holmes, meant we didn't have to carry too much food and water. I can't really remember what I ate on race day, but it almost worked to keep me going. I think I ate a bread roll and I also remember trying something peanut-butter based that wasn't as appealing as it sounded at the time. A handful of Rowntree's Randoms at pit stop 7 was fun though.

Don't look down, look up and take in the view

There were some fantastic views on the route and some truly scenic locations - Julie and I sang our way through Queen Elizabeth Woods and paused for breath (and to take in our surroundings) from the top of Butser Hill. There was an Iron Hill Fort at the top of Old Winchester Hill and I'm sure we could see the sea at one point. We ran through picturesque little villages and got lost in the moment.



I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done

Julie's little plastic bag of inspirational quotes really came into it's own as we reached the last 10 miles of the race. We were getting tired, so tired we stopped for a sit down and a cup of tea at one of the pit stops towards the end.

We paused, refuelled and just sat for a bit - not something you can really do in a city marathon - but perfectly acceptable in the final stages of an ultra. We knew we would finish, we didn't care about how long it would take us to get to the end; for a few minutes, we just wanted to sit quietly, drink a brew and tape up a few war wounds.

But we didn't stop completely, we weren't done yet.

Eventually, there will be just one parkrun to go

With the light fading, it was time to add extra layers and some lights and draw on our inner warriors - 10 miles to go, then 7 miles, then 5 miles and then just 3.1 miles to go (it's only a parkrun from here). It was definitely getting tougher but we knew the end was coming soon - we could see the lights from Winchester getting closer. I was definitely running on empty, with barely enough energy to get the jelly beans from the bag in my pocket to my mouth. We left the trail and emerged onto country lanes, one more big downhill to go. It felt like we were running faster than ever before on that downhill (we really weren't) but soon we were crossing over the motorway and emerging into civilisation. We were joined on that last mile by a runner we had met earlier on the route, inspired by our lights just ahead to keep going and then catch us up.

We zigzagged our way way around the outside of the Cathedral to find our way to the finish line - it seemed like everyone kept telling us there was just one more turn to go! Eventually, that was true, which came as an amazing relief, as I really didn't think I could run any further; my legs were getting wobblier with every step and having to go down a few steps to the finish line was actually a big challenge - I looked down and fortunately didn't fall!


There will be a medal at the finish line

And then we were done. We crossed the finish line and got our medals. I don't think I've ever been so close to empty at the end of the race as I was at just after 10pm on the 24th June 2017. I just about made it round in to the Cathedral cafe and slumped into a chair. Incredible fatigue mixed with incredible pride - we had done it and I celebrated with two satsumas and another cup of tea!


And then there will be cake!

Celebratory cakes made by the wonderful Helen Cumberlidge - every race needs to end with a cake!


And that was Race to the King - the most incredible race experience of my short running career; it was exhausting, exhilarating, ridiculous and rewarding all at the same time. 

Learn from your experiences

I've missed many training miles in preparation for Birmingham but RTTK has taught me that I can dig deep when fatigue hits in Birmingham; I know I will have lots of support on race day from the wonderful ladies from Potters Trotters too. I'm also going to be running in my Cancer Research vest, for extra inspiration, in memory of my Dad and in support of some very special people still fighting.


I won't stop when I'm tired, I'll stop when I'm done (it says so on the post-it note so it must be true).

Happy Running

LizT

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B