Skip to main content

Race Day

When I signed up for the Queen Elizabeth Park Half Marathon at the start of the year, one of the small goals I set myself in my quest to find my next big challenge, I didn’t really know what to expect of the race or my running.

I’ve run in the Olympic Park previously – finishing on the track in the Olympic Stadium after a 5 mile race back in 2013 – and we’ve visited many times since our first visit back in 2012 for the Olympics and Paralympics. Every time we come some feature from 2012 has moved or changed and new buildings spring up all the time, but the Stadium and Orbit still dominate the skyline.

But I couldn’t quite work out how the organisers were going to fit half marathon distance into the park with the number of runners taking part. And then I saw the route map and I had even less idea how it was all going to work out. But it was going to be an adventure…
Strava Map
In terms of my running, I’ve been keeping up with my running plan since the start of the year – longer runs of 10-12 miles were going well. But I didn’t really know whether I should aim for a specific time or just run and see what happens.

Race morning arrived – I was feeling smug that I’d remembered safety pins for my race number and my watch was fully charged; but then slightly disconcerted by an anxiety dream about not finding the start in time and then almost forgetting to attach my timing chip. It’s been nearly 12 months since my last half marathon so I was allowed a few nerves.

Kit ready
We left it as late as possible to head to the start – it was really cold and very very windy. The pre-race discussion with Mr T centred on how many different ways we could describe just how cold it was … perishing, freezing, arctic… pick your adjective.

And then it was time to shuffle forward into the starting pens and the countdown to the start had begun. The first batch of runners were soon underway and then I was off after about 6 minutes… heading away from the Orbit and going around the outside of the London Stadium (as it’s now called), then it was time for the first of the strange switchbacks which took us back around to the start area, round a loop and then back with a little bit of undulation – there weren’t really any hills on the route (not in Stoke terms anyway), but definitely a lot more undulations than I’d expected or remembered from previous walks around the park.

And so it began – I set myself a challenge to catch the 2:10 pacer, who had started from the pen in front of me. After that, I would see how much speed, strength and endurance I’d built up over the last few weeks of training. I got past them somewhere around mile 3.

Past the Copper Box and then another loop, this time around the Here East development (somewhere close to where the hockey arena was for London 2012) and then we headed back into the heart of the park. A few more ups and downs as we went down to water level in the central nature reserve – I remembered sitting on benches here and watching Team GB medals on the big screen in London 2012. This was my favourite section.

Orbit, Me and My Medal
Another loop, another bridge crossing, an out and back section and a spiral around the velodrome – at one point, I looked out across the park and it was like there were runners going in every direction, whichever direction I looked. It was a strange but colourful sight and inspired me to keep going. My pace was still good and I was really pleased to get to half way in a time much quicker than I anticipated. Could I keep going?

Whilst the race route might have been ridiculously confusing for the runners, Mr T was in his element and back to his very best Mr Benn impression, popping up unexpectedly and all around the route - I think I spotted him a record-breaking 14 times on the course today. At mile 9, as I was definitely starting to struggle, he managed to run along side me for long enough to handover a much-needed energy gel.

We were heading back towards the stadium now but there was still time for another out and back, taking us close to the aquatic centre, and then another out and back going out to Here East again – I really have no idea how we got there again.

And then familiar territory back by the stadium and the last mile was the first mile in reverse. I was definitely hanging on by this point and my watch seemed completely out of sync with the on course mile markers so I really wasn’t sure how long to go. On the last of the switchbacks I got a glimpse of the 2hr pacing team just up ahead, but it was hard to judge how far ahead and whether I could catch them.

One more hill – I thought of helium balloons all the way up and tried to run tall – then one more bridge and then a final loop of the stadium; the finish would soon be in sight. The marshal enthusiastically told us that there was “just half a mile to go”. I looked at my watch – showing 1:56 and a grumpy moment. I knew I wouldn’t manage half a mile in 4 minutes so the chance of 2 hours was gone. And then I gave myself a telling off – getting anywhere close to 2 hours was way better than I’d expected when I’d signed up for the race – and just kept on running with whatever strength I had left.

Looping the stadium, the finish line suddenly came into view. I’m hopeless at estimating distance but it seemed closer than expected. Another glimpse at my watch and 2 hrs seemed possible again.

Pushing on, I attempted a sprint finish and sort of managed one (Strava says my pace over the last 150 metres was my fastest of the day), encouraged as well by one last cheer from Mr T, who made it to the finish line as well.

I’d run as hard as I could on the day and was definitely pleased with my finishing time (officially 1:59:01). It’s my fastest half marathon since 2016 and not too different from my very first half marathon back in 2012.

I’ve never been so confused by a route but it was a well organised race, with lots of enthusiastic marshals and a very impressive medal. And our hotel was so close, it didn’t take too long to get clean and warm afterwards either.


Let the re-hydration and refuelling began!

I ran a race. And I enjoyed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B