Skip to main content

The Wow Factor

When I started my blogging challenge in January, I was looking for a new challenge; something to motivate and inspire me, something outside my comfort zone, something that brings me joy, makes me smile and is worth all the effort.

It sounded like a big ask, but over the last few days, I've been reminded that every run (or walk) can have a wow factor, something special and unexpected; I just need to be looking for it and appreciate it when it happens. I don't need to wait for the big race days or special events; I just ned to run with my eyes open.

We are in Guernsey for a few days and the sun has been shining almost ever since we arrived on Thursday. The first 'wow' came when we arrived at our hotel. After climbing 105 steps to the front door and another 44 steps to our room... this was the view that greeted us:

Looking out on St Peter Port from the Ziggurat Hotel

Wow!

On Friday morning, there was something magical and mysterious about watching the island reappear beneath us as the early morning fog dissipated. When I first peeped out of the curtains at 7.30am, I couldn't see the house across the path. On Saturday, it was equally magical as the sun rose into a clear sky.
Sunrise over Castle Cornet

We've explored sandy beaches and rocky coves, played mini-golf and eaten cake, wandered along daffodil-lined country lanes and found fairy caves and a witches' den (according to local folklore anyway). We've watched waves crash over the sea wall before the start of parkrun and followed in the footsteps of Victor Hugo, Renoir and the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. 


We've even walked on water (according to Strava anyway), crossing the causeway to Lihou Island and embraced the history all around us. 

There's a path there somewhere....

Lot's of extraordinary, inspiring little moments of joy.

But then I've not done much actual running this week, so I wanted to finish the week with one more run. I set off from the museum gardens, headed along the sea front through St Peter Port and down towards the south. The walking guide mentioned a "steep climb" and some off-road sections but I wasn't sure what else to expect. I was just planning to run for about an hour and thinking only about running and not about where I was going or what I might see.

There was definitely a steep climb but as the path climbed, I began to experience the feeling of adventure. I didn't know where I was going, I was following a windy path up one hill and down another, tree roots, steps, a bit of mud, more steps, woodland, more steps and then... 

Wow!

A staircase down to the sea and a view of a rocky cove and puffins... you might need to look closely to spot those, but they were there, I promise.
Looking for puffins

Another climb, round another headland, sheltered by trees. The path splits again... there are some steps down to the sea again (which I know I will have to climb back up again in a few moments... this is the 20 minute mile if you are checking out my route on Strava). Is it worth it? I won't know unless I go down the steps and see...

Wow!

A perfect view of Fremain Bay, sun glistening on the clear water. 
Fremain Bay

I was just expecting to run for an hour, just for the sake of a run, but instead I got beautiful views, a fantastic workout (all those steps), some much-needed off-road miles and a great down hill finish just to stretch my flags.

It definitely made me smile (even if I did have to climb up those 149 steps to get back to our hotel room) and will hopefully inspire to keep on running with my eyes open. And we've got a couple more days in Guernsey to see what else we can find.

Addendum....

There was plenty of time for more wow moments before we left!

After a morning at the Occupation Museum, we followed a country lane down towards the coast, winding our way on the cliffs at Petit Bot Bay:


On our last morning in Guernsey, an early flight meant we were up just before the sun, but only just. Drawing back the curtains, we watched the sunrise over Sark before heading to the airport.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B