Skip to main content

A big weekend!

In four weeks time, I will be taking part in the Dulux London Revolution Trails event aiming for ultramarathon distance on a route that starts in Marlow, loops around the Chilterns and then follows the River Thames down to Windsor. The route is described by race organisers as "a diverse mix of hilly trails, historic woodland paths and flat riverside running past Thameside towns"... sounds idyllic apart from the distance!


I entered a few weeks ago and have gradually been getting my mind and body prepared for the challenge; building up my weekly mileage and adding in hills, trails and solo runs to my weekly schedule of running... I knew that this week was a crucial one in my training to give me a bit more confidence for the challenge ahead.

Having struggled through a 3-mile solo run after work on Wednesday, Thursday's run was designated as "fun hills" with the Potters Trotters - a good combination of hills and trails making use of the University's nature reserve... run up, run down, run up, run down... don't give up. Given that I'm the little sister in my family, I'm sure my big sister Jenni can relate to this quote I found about hill training:


And then to the weekend; I set myself the goal of running approximate race distance over the course of runs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. After work on Friday, it took lots of effort to change into running gear and head out of the door for run number 1... I even sat on the stairs for a while summoning up the courage/energy. Eventually I got moving and after starting over slowly and feeling sluggish, I got into my stride and even managed a personal best for running up Birches Head Road.

Run 1 - 6.5 miles - done!

Then to Saturday... leaving home at just before 8, my goal was to complete a few miles before Hanley parkrun, then make up the distance required with a little bit extra afterwards. As with Friday's run, the first mile seemed to be a real challenge for both my mind and my body; tired legs and an anxious mind. I thought back to previous running adventures and achievements, bringing back good memories and reminding me of what's possible - for some reason, it was remembering the London Enduro Run in 2014 that did the trick and I was moving well again. Catching up with friends before, during and after parkrun helped with motivation too - special thanks to Kirsten and Julie for their encouragement. After another couple of miles, I had time for a little break and joined some of the Potters Trotters for coffe and a chat.

Run 2 - 10 miles - done!

Home for a couple of hours and refuelling with crumpets and a Mr Kipling's Lemon Bakewell (the food of champions clearly), when Mr T set off to watch Stoke, I set off for 5 more miles. It felt like I was running around in circles a little bit, especially when I followed some of the same route as earlier in the day but I actually enjoyed this run and felt much more confident running solo this time.

Run 3 - 5 miles - done!

More refuelling - pizza for tea and then a good night's sleep - and I was actually up and ready early on Sunday for the final run of my big weekend. I was joining Liz, Jane and Emma for a few miles along the canal and it was definitely my most enjoyable run of the weekend. It was a chance to catch up, breathe deeply and enjoy a lovely sunny Sunday morning. Thanks ladies for your company.

Run 4 - 10 miles - done!


It's been a big weekend, but I've got through it.

Same again next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B