Skip to main content

London Calling

It's the London Marathon this weekend and I think I'm suffering from a few pre-race nerves... I've been lethargic all week; struggling with a sore throat and bad cough; I couldn't get to sleep last with plans for Sunday running though my head; I was up early again this morning checking the weather forecast and trying to decide what to wear on race day.. lots to do, lots to plan before I catch the train down to London on Saturday afternoon.

And I'm just spectating!

I'm excited - it's a special race and a fantastic experience. Greenwich, Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge, Canary Wharf, The Embankment...  finally reaching Buckingham Palace and turning on to the Mall.

London Marathon Cards by Rosedawn Designs

I love to talk to anyone who will listen about my experiences in 2014... tears, hugs, sunburn and celebratory prosecco; it was the most memorable of race days and I hope one day to get another chance to run.


London Marathon support from my nieces
Since 2014, I've been back every year to cheer on friends and club mates. I love spectating almost as much as I enjoyed running.

Running 26.2 miles may be physically and mentally demanding but spectating can be stressful too, especially as the crowds build and you desperately try to spot familiar faces among 40,000 runners and then reunite at the finish. Race preparation takes on a very different focus... where are the best places to spectate, how do we get around the route, how do we make sure we can see everyone we want to see and track their progress (download the app).

Like those who've run the marathon many times, seasoned spectators have their favourite race-day strategies...

…. you can find one place, get there early and stay there for the whole race - there's a good spot on the Embankment close to mile 24 but you need to be in position before 10.00am to get close to the runners and have a chance of seeing friends. If there's enough of you, you can protect your space; take it turns to get refreshments. If you move away even for a moment, your space can be swallowed up by eager spectators around you.

… or you can move around and try and spot friends in several place - it depends on the pace of the people you want to see as to have much time you have to get between viewing places. You need to travel light, be prepared for a bit of running and not mind getting on crowded underground trains for this approach. It's relatively straightforward to get between Greenwich, Canary Wharf and the finish area if you plan a route but the chances of getting close to the route are reduced, especially in the busiest spots.




Whatever your spectator strategy though, you need to stick to it if there is someone you really want to see. When you are running, there is so much noise and people everywhere, it's really hard to concentrate on the crowd, so you really need to know in advance when you need to look outwards rather than on the road ahead... pick a km/mile marker or landmark (but probably not Cutty Sark or Tower Bridge as it's so busy) and agree which side of the road you'll be on.

There's a lot to plan….

To my friends who are running, you've got this! You have done your best in training and race day is the glory leg; enjoy it, keep your eyes and ears open and take in everything you can. We'll be cheering you on and can't wait to hear your race day stories.

To my friends who are spectating, you've got this too! Stay hydrated, pack some snacks, don't forget your cow bells and pace yourself; it's a long day and there is a lot of cheering to be done.

But we'll be ready and we'll all celebrate together at the finish.

London's Calling. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B