Skip to main content

In search of a cute little cottage...

A week in the Turks and Caicos? A month in Toronto or Melbourne? Maybe a long weekend in Rome? An overnight stay in York? Island hopping in the Med? Following the civil rights trail across the American South? Whale watching in New Zealand? A safari in Botswana?

If we could go away tomorrow, where we would go? What would we want to do? Where would we choose to stay? Big trip or long weekend?

This is a game we have played all through lockdown, a way to remind ourselves that was a big world out there, even if we didn’t feel part of it at the moment.

The answer has changed depending on the time of year, the weather outside or how stressful a day we have had. It would be prompted by a TV programme, a news report or, more usually, a 60 second vacation on CNN.

Where would we choose? Somewhere new? Or an old favourite?


And once the game has started, it can last for hours. We have debated which restaurants to visit, museums to explore and parks to run around. We have found about festivals and special events (in non-covid times). We have checked out annual rainfall patterns and flight options. We have downloaded walking tours and maps, just so we can orientate ourselves properly. We’ve searched for books set in the location, just for extra inspiration.

We might not be able to put our ideas into action for a while but that doesn’t mean we can’t look.

Making plans for “one day soon” has been a vital part of our approach to surviving the last 12 months of lockdown.

But where should we stay?

That question has always occupied most of our holiday-from-home discussions.

With imaginary holidays, we don't need to choose a Travelodge or Premier Inn. Anywhere with brown curtains is immediately ruled out and definitely no shared bathrooms. There are so many more options when money is no object and you don’t need to worry about availability. It has to have some character, a special feature.

But will it be a a cosy B&B or a sleek shiny apartment? A fancy hotel with all the best facilities? Something quirky like a lighthouse? Or a cute little cottage?

Somewhere with a view?

Somewhere with some history?

Somewhere with a grand staircase?

Somewhere with a theme?

Somewhere for a weekend break or a month-long adventure?

Somewhere that brings back memories of favourite holidays past?

We could go back to the Ziggurat Hotel in Guernsey (wow factor views), the Hotel Master Johann in Malmo (best hotel breakfast ever), an apartment in Zagreb (perfect people-watching balcony), our happy place on the Coromandel Peninsula (spectacular sunsets), a triangle shaped house in Dunedin (with a log fire), all inclusive luxury in Tobago (with a swimming pool bar), a sci-fi themed room in a boutique hotel in Durham (with Tardis doors into the bathroom and a resident dalek), old meets new in Berlin (with an unexpected upgrade), the ultimate stopover hotel in Hong Kong (with a rooftop pool), a historic hotel in Napier or a tiny little cottage in Chepstow (the last place we stated before lockdown).



Happy memories. 

Prompting plans for the future...a few bookmarked for “one day soon”…

Which one would you choose? 

Or if you have another suggestion, just let me know. 

One day soon…. 


Postscript… we’ve booked a weekend in Preston and two days in Manchester. Small steps but progress!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B