Skip to main content

Time to Run

I've been having an argument with myself for the last few weeks... deciding whether to run or not?

Time is a bit short. I've had meetings and appointments and social events booked in. A new job to occupy my brain. The friend I was supposed to meet can't make it anymore and I don't really want to run on my own. The weather has been grim and evenings getting darker. I'm a bit tired and know I will feel like I am running really slowly. 

Is there really time for a run? Can I really fit it in? Is it really worth it?

The downside of having trained for and run ultramarathons is that my brain sometimes tells me that if you are not planning to run for 3 hours, is it really a run at all?

To run or not?

Well I don't have 3 hours and couldn't run for 3 hours anyway... so .... not?

-----

Last Sunday, I went along to a performance at Etruria called 'Grit' - a canal side performance about "women who stride, walk, jog and run" hosted by Urban Wilderness.


It was thought-provoking and inspiring, challenging and engaging - Sophia (the creator and performer) perfectly captured how it feels to be a woman who runs or contemplates running, covering issues of motivation, safety, self-esteem, anxiety and how to cross the bridge of self-consciousness; but ultimately sharing the sheer joy of running, the freedom of running in fresh air without a care in the world - "everyone deserves to feel like this".
-----

This morning, I had 30 minutes of free time before starting work. The only free time in the day.

To run or not?

Last week, I might have decided it wasn't worth it. A lot of effort for not much gain. By the time I'm out of the door, I'll be on my way back. That won't look like much on Strava.

To run or not?

But this morning, I gave it a go - 5 minute walk, 20 minutes running, then 5 mins cool down and stretch (whilst loading the dishwasher).

I ran.

Just a little loop along the canal and round and back again.

But I ran.

It was definitely worth it.

Thanks Sophia for sharing that story - ""everyone deserves to feel like this"

Happy running

Liz T

Comments

  1. So glad you felt some motivation, Liz. It's so tough at times. A run is a run no matter how far. Hope to see you soon x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B