Skip to main content

2022 - A Year on Fast Forward

2022 went by in a flash; a year on fast forward. I think it was November before I realised my wall calendar still said July. Lots was happening - the Commonwealth Games, a holiday in Madeira, getting stuck in to my new job - but at the same time, it feels like not much happened at all.


It's definitely hard to be specific about dates, activities, occasions. All cake and cocktail memories seem to merge into one.


2023 has already started ... and I'm still trying to reflect on 2022? 

Perhaps I should just skip last year and and focus on 2023 instead - I've got a big birthday coming up, a trip to Rome planned and lots of family celebrations to look forward to. 

2022 could just be a footnote?

But that doesn't seem fair? 

There must be lots of things to remember, celebrate, reflect on, laugh about, cry about? Not everything has to a big moment of wonder, sometimes there is joy in the little things too.

---

Over the last few months, I've been working on a new blogging project - with the catchy title of 27 Hours in Twizel.

Back in 2015, we were "stranded" overnight in a place called Twizel on the South Island of New Zealand. The guide books weren't promising - our Lonely Planet suggested that destruction of the temporary settlement (built in the 1960s for construction workers) would have been a "kinder fate". 

So over 27 hours, we set out to prove them wrong - and actually had lots of fun exploring Twizel and a really good night's sleep. A place can't be all bad if there is a crazy golf course and at least four places to buy cake!

Our 27 Hours in Twizel have become a reminder that you can’t judge a book by its cover, or a place by a page in a guidebook (if it even has an entry). Not every moment needs to come with a firework display or fancy hotel. You don't need the finest wine or the best cocktail. You can't always predict when the best memories will be made. If you turn left instead of right, there may just be something worth finding. A line of graffiti on a wall might change how your day goes. At the very least, you might get to skim stones across a river, and that is always a treat.

---

So let's not write of 2022 just yet.
 
As a farewell to Rosedawn Ramblings and hello to 27 Hours in Twizel, here are 22 moments from the last few months of 2022 where life didn't just pass us by, where we made the most of the opportunities that came along; some planned, all with a nod to those 27 Hours in Twizel.
  1. Winning a game of battleships at the new board game cafe in Hanley
  2. The landscape photography exhibition we found at Birmingham New Street station - changing trains and platforms on our way to Cardiff - delays aren't always bad
  3. A visit to the Alan Turing statue in Manchester, followed by cakes at the Richmond Tea Rooms
  4. A sunset walk along the Trent at Beeston, another adventure created by travel chaos
  5. Coffee and cake on a Friday afternoon at the Quarter in Hanley
  6. Covering marathon distance on my exercise bike whilst watching the London Marathon
  7. A new mug from Emma Bridgewater - inspiration every day
  8. The European Champions come to Stoke
  9. Catching up with the Tin Dog
  10. Breathing in sea air and saying hello to the iron men on Crosby Beach
  11. Catching up with the Matrix Chix Wot Do # (we missed you Anne)
  12. Exploring a park we didn't know existed, because we saw a photo on a hotel room wall
  13. The best pancakes in recent memory for breakfast off the beaten track in West London
  14. Going to the Sugarmill for the very first time
  15. An unexpected round of crazy golf at New Brighton
  16. Watching the sunset on Brighton beach
  17. When the dragon caught the moon
  18. Singing along with Boycezone outside the Principality Stadium in Cardiff
  19. Wandering the streets of Cardiff in the pouring rain trying in vain to find the giant Welsh FA bucket hat... we found it in the end the next day, so all's well that ends well
  20. Visiting Christmas Street with the Potters Trotters
  21. Catching the train at Salford Central instead of Manchester Victoria and finding a fantastic mural (even if the train was late and it was raining very hard
  22. Watching Mr T wistfully watch the cricket near Kew Gardens - and then having a brilliant conversation with someone who'd stopped to do the same thing.
---

I'm making 2023 a year for making the most of every opportunity - join me at my new website and on Instagram for more adventures. You can even relive some of my very early travel adventures from the days long before blogs were a thing. I found my old travel diaries and there are some stories to be told! And if you'd like to share a story or travel memory, get in touch. Guest posts are always welcome.

And if you find yourself in Twizel (or at Salford Central), relax and enjoy your stay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B