Skip to main content

Just Keep Moving Forward

After the beautiful sunshine of Guernsey in February, everything seems to have returned to seasonal norms this last week; cold, wet and windblown best describe me at the end of most of my runs last week.

Which makes me wonder what I was thinking when I decided on Tuesday evening to enter the Knighton 20 five days before race day, especially as the weather forecast for this weekend was not promising, with the possibility of snow, rain, sleet and hail. You really want every advantage possible when you've chosen to run 20 miles on "undulating" country lanes in March.

Knighton 20 Elevation Chart
For the Knighton 20, I was re-uniting with my long-run training buddy Julie - we've completed ultras and training runs in every type of weather but it's been a while since we've run together so I was looking forward to catching up and supporting each other to get round. Julie is running the London Marathon in April so this was an important training run for her (good luck with running and fundraising Julie, I know you will smash it - https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JulieHolmes14) And I'm still trying to build up my miles in preparation for ultra challenges later in the year (watch this space).
So our plan was most definitely to take it steady - a long training run and not a race; we just wanted to get round. However, we both admitted to feeling unexpectedly nervous, perhaps for both of us beacuse it's a long time since we ran this far. Nervousness for me mainly involved waking up twice in the night worried about sleeping through my alarm, being completely indecisive about how many layers to wear and losing my running gloves somewhere in the house whilst getting ready.

But soon we were off and running; the forecast snow, sleet, hail and rain didn't materialise and the temperature was actually a bit warmer than expected and my optimism began to grow. We'd be ok. Somehow though, I'd been completely oblivious to the other part of the weather forecast, the part about really really strong winds.

Knighton 20 is three laps and it seemed that at all times, the wind was against us, blowing us sideways, blowing us backwards, blowing us off our feet. The wind seemed to get stronger and more of a challenge as the race continued; but the last two miles of each lap were definitely the most challenging conditions; it was almost impossible at times to stand tall and maintain forward momentum... and an abundance of muddy puddles just added to the fun!
How many words for windy?*
But keep moving forward we did…. at least it wasn't raining and the sun came out too.


Once on the final lap, we may have run out of energy for chatting but we knew we would get round, even if there was that one last hill to climb before the finish... I really hate that hill.

And we did get round.

Like every other run; you just keep moving forward one step at a time.

* Word cloud designed on Word Art

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B