Skip to main content

Hunting High and Low

With a little bit of inspiration from A-ha...


When it comes to running, routine, discipline, repetition, consistency, organisation and stability are probably some of the key descriptors for success... especially if you are focusing on getting faster or running further.

You need a plan and you need to stick to it.

But that doesn't sound very exciting or inspiring. It's unlikely to persuade anyone out of the warmth of home on a wet, cold and dark evening in November.

So you need something that will motivate you, get you out of the door... you need to know your purpose; you need to find your 'why'.

I've been thinking a lot about this a lot recently - inspired in part by interviews with Chrissie Wellington and Katherine Grainger on the Don't Tell Me The Score podcast on BBC Sounds and coinciding with (or perhaps resulting in) a new-found focus for my running in recent weeks.

For me, my 'why' is best summed up by my 12-mile long run on Thursday evening, snappily titled on Strava as 4 on my own, 3 with Liz and 5 with the Potters Trotters.


My 'why' comes from a combination of personal challenge, finding clarity, time dedicated to important friendships and contributing to and being supported by the wider community of runners.

When I run on my own, as with the first 4 miles on Thursday, my 'why' is about my own personal motivation to improve. I want to run faster. I want to run further. I want to experience wow moments that can only come from setting myself extraordinary challenges. This week for example that meant running up and down the same bit of pavement on my own for 30 minutes at the end of a long week, because it was my only opportunity to fit in a speed session. But I needed to do the speed session, I was sure about my 'why', my personal challenge to get faster. And I felt the benefit when I ran at Huddersfield parkrun on Saturday.


When I run with a good friend, as with the middle 3 miles on Thursday, the Friday 5 or  the chatty parkruns I love, the 'why' comes from knowing that at the end of the run I'm sure it will be time well spent, physically, mentally and emotionally. I will have caught up on news, gained perspective on a difficult situation, laughed out loud and made plans for new challenges. All without judgement. All without pressure. If the pace slows or we take a walk break, it doesn't matter. It is relaxed running; bringing clarity to most situations. If we don't run at all but have coffee and cake instead, not a problem. I always feel like my running is missing something if I don't get a run like this each week and I'm grateful for these special friendships.

When I run with a group, like with my club mates at Potters Trotters for my final 5 miles on Thursday, the 'why' is much more about a collective sense of achievement, the camaraderie of all starting and finishing together, being part of a team and the community of runners. A Sunday morning run when one of the groups runs further than they have before; we can all celebrate with them. Or if someone is struggling, we can all rally round, running alongside to offer encouragement or just be there. On Thursday, as my legs tired at the end of 12 miles, it was easier to keep going because I was part of the group; all moving forward together and motivating each other. Just what I needed.

What's your 'why'?

Keep hunting high and low until you find it....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B