Skip to main content

Back to Happy

I'm sitting on the balcony watching the world go by, the bottle kilns my ever-present backdrop. 

It's early on Sunday morning. The sun is shining, there is a refreshing breeze. Every now and then, the sound of traffic replaces bird song to interrupt the peace and quiet. A couple walking their dog pass by on the bank opposite. The same man who runs by everyday has just appeared. Someone is fishing up by the bridge. A child is feeding the ducks.

The coffee tastes good. 

I've got a new book to read.

It's my happy place; my place to reflect and re-set.


In the nearly 12 months since my last blog post, my new job has continued to be just what I needed, we've had some mini-adventures and lots of fun-filled days. There have been a few bumps in the road, especially when it comes to blogging and running, but I've been doing my best to live up to the intention to start again.

First there was Tailenders Live, which definitely brought the laughter back...


Then a week in Wales, trying grapefruit wheat beer at an OMD gig, back in Cardiff, home for Christmas, cooking by candlelight in the Lake District, parkrun milestones, my sister becoming the mayor and so much more...)


But, nearly 30 months after covid first disrupted 'normal' life, the double lines of despair have finally struck for MrT and he is stuck behind the bars (for a few days at least).

No trip to Crosby today to see the Anthony Gormley statues, no Doctor Who exhibit in Liverpool, no crazy golf at New Brighton. Instead, a hastily arranged shopping delivery left on the doorstep and lots of time on our hands, with nowhere to go.

My mind has catapulted backwards to those first days of lockdown, when the other side of the canal felt like a world away, a forbidden world at that, and I was scrambling around to find a new normal.

Time is moving slowly again and I'm not sure how we will fill the day (especially as the test match finished early). 

Is it time to sort out the tupperware cupboard again? Or go through my wardrobe for a clearout? Clean the oven? Do the weeding in the backyard? Try a Joe Wicks workout? Binge watch something on Netflix (part way through Season 4 of Stranger Things)? Do some (more) unnecessary online shopping? Book something, anything, to do when it's all over and we can be free to roam again? Listen to a new podcast? 

I could create another collage from holiday photos - that one's easy - see below:

Commonwealth Games Birmingham 2022 - competitors from 66 out of 72 countries*, 12 different sports, 7 different venues, a lot of queuing and a great week

Fortunately, MrT has very mild symptoms and is happily embracing his inner-sloth. 

Perhaps, I will do the same. 

It's lovely here on the balcony. I can sit a bit longer, jot down some thoughts and resurrect my occasional blogging habit. 

And fingers crossed, I might somehow avoid my own double lines of doom and be back out in the world again very soon.

Stay well

LizT

* If you are interested, we missed out on Kiribati, Bangladesh, Vanuatu, Turks and Caicos, Tonga and Montserrat!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B