Skip to main content

Back to Happy

I'm sitting on the balcony watching the world go by, the bottle kilns my ever-present backdrop. 

It's early on Sunday morning. The sun is shining, there is a refreshing breeze. Every now and then, the sound of traffic replaces bird song to interrupt the peace and quiet. A couple walking their dog pass by on the bank opposite. The same man who runs by everyday has just appeared. Someone is fishing up by the bridge. A child is feeding the ducks.

The coffee tastes good. 

I've got a new book to read.

It's my happy place; my place to reflect and re-set.


In the nearly 12 months since my last blog post, my new job has continued to be just what I needed, we've had some mini-adventures and lots of fun-filled days. There have been a few bumps in the road, especially when it comes to blogging and running, but I've been doing my best to live up to the intention to start again.

First there was Tailenders Live, which definitely brought the laughter back...


Then a week in Wales, trying grapefruit wheat beer at an OMD gig, back in Cardiff, home for Christmas, cooking by candlelight in the Lake District, parkrun milestones, my sister becoming the mayor and so much more...)


But, nearly 30 months after covid first disrupted 'normal' life, the double lines of despair have finally struck for MrT and he is stuck behind the bars (for a few days at least).

No trip to Crosby today to see the Anthony Gormley statues, no Doctor Who exhibit in Liverpool, no crazy golf at New Brighton. Instead, a hastily arranged shopping delivery left on the doorstep and lots of time on our hands, with nowhere to go.

My mind has catapulted backwards to those first days of lockdown, when the other side of the canal felt like a world away, a forbidden world at that, and I was scrambling around to find a new normal.

Time is moving slowly again and I'm not sure how we will fill the day (especially as the test match finished early). 

Is it time to sort out the tupperware cupboard again? Or go through my wardrobe for a clearout? Clean the oven? Do the weeding in the backyard? Try a Joe Wicks workout? Binge watch something on Netflix (part way through Season 4 of Stranger Things)? Do some (more) unnecessary online shopping? Book something, anything, to do when it's all over and we can be free to roam again? Listen to a new podcast? 

I could create another collage from holiday photos - that one's easy - see below:

Commonwealth Games Birmingham 2022 - competitors from 66 out of 72 countries*, 12 different sports, 7 different venues, a lot of queuing and a great week

Fortunately, MrT has very mild symptoms and is happily embracing his inner-sloth. 

Perhaps, I will do the same. 

It's lovely here on the balcony. I can sit a bit longer, jot down some thoughts and resurrect my occasional blogging habit. 

And fingers crossed, I might somehow avoid my own double lines of doom and be back out in the world again very soon.

Stay well

LizT

* If you are interested, we missed out on Kiribati, Bangladesh, Vanuatu, Turks and Caicos, Tonga and Montserrat!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Run

This latest blogpost is all about parkrun , which is an organisation which arranges free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They have been taking place around the UK for several years and in Stoke-on-Trent since September 2011, when Hanley parkrun was held for the first time. Every Saturday morning, between 30 and 50 runners, plus volunteers and supporters gather in Hanley Park by the lake. When the fountains are turned on at 9am, the countdown to the start begins. The course takes us from the bottom of the park to the top and back (twice) and finishes by the bandstand just above the canal - it parkrun terminology, its a net uphill course. I love parkrun. I love the challenge of trying to improve my own time each week. So far this year, I've knocked about 2 minutes off my personal best and I'm really pleased about that. Each week, I feel like I can control my pace a lot better and the hills are not too big an obstacle to climb. The speedwork and hill trainin...

The Verdict

On Sunday, we said a sad farewell to Western Australia, as we flew from Perth to Auckland to begin the next part of our adventure. We've really enjoyed the three weeks spent in WA and packed quite a lot into our last weekend too. We had a day at the WACA, watching England against India in a one day international. Strangely for us, we actually got to see England win a cricket match... that didn't happen at all on our last trip to Australia in 2011. It was a steaming hot day on Perth for our cricket visit... The humidity was making it feel more like Columbo (according to Jon anyway, I've never been to Sri Lanka). I just knew it was hot. Our booked seats were in an uncovered stand but we managed to sneak our way undercover after about an hour of play. We were still hot but at least avoided sunstroke! Before play started, we were able to seek shelter from the heat with a vist to the cricket museum, a rabbit warren of a building that used to a private house. Each room was a trea...

Cool Runnings

I think I may have found a new passion... I know that running in the ice, cold and snow can be risky and you have to be careful for all sorts of reasons, but I've been really enjoying my running over the last week. I love being outside in the snow anyway, wrapped up against the cold, but the added dimension of running has been a new challenge that I'm relishing. Garmin Map of 1km of my snow run in Hanley Park! Last Monday was my first experience of snow-running... I rescued my trail shoes from where I'd discarded them after the final cross country event in Leek last December , wrapped myself up in lots of layers and ventured out. I ran along the canal to Hanley Park and just ran around in circles... making footprint patterns in the snow on the tennis courts, football pitches and cricket nets, plus one loop of the lake. It was fun... I wasn't worried about how far or how fast I was running, I was just running and enjoying it. I only ran a cou...