Skip to main content

A New Challenge

I've spent a good couple of weeks trying to get my head around my new normal.

I know that I am incredibly fortunate to have a secure job and am able to work safely at home. I've enjoyed being able to break up the work day with music or creating a meal in the slow cooker. 

I know that having outside space and my little balcony is a real privilege. I've really enjoyed eating breakfast outside, especially in the recent sunshine. 


I know that I have good friends and family members at the end of a video call for support. I have actually enjoyed navigating new technologies and I've even been on a podcast!

But some days have still been better than others. 

I'm not sleeping as well as I usually do (and this helpful article probably explains why) but it's given me time to clean out bathroom cabinets and kitchen cupboards.

I'm probably having too many mid-morning / mid-afternoon biscuit breaks (stay away from the fridge) but we are trying to cook proper meals and use up lots of ingredients in new and imaginative ways. 

I'm missing my morning walk to work and lunchtime strolls; but I've been pretty good at trying to find new ways of exercising at home (kitchen dance breaks, stair climbing, boxercise, skipping and hopscotch all attempted). Thank you to everyone who has shared ideas. 


And I've lost my training goal - as with many other events, Race to the Castle has been postponed. In many ways, the decision came as a relief. Training for an event under the current situation just felt strange and a little bit selfish, especially as close friends were under strict quarentine or dealing with significant stress as key workers. Running the distances required in training to cover 100km at the start of June seemed an unnecessary risk. In the couple of weeks before the decision came through, I just didn't feel like running very much at all (although did manage a 7-lapper 5k on Saturday with Mr T - sort of like parkrun but not parkrun).


The rearranged date for Race to the Castle is not until June 2021. That's too far into the future to think about at the moment.

But it would be good to have a new focus. I do like challenges, as demonstrated by my blogging challenge in 2019.

So what to do?

Something that will give me a focus but won't take me out of the house. Something that is a change as well as a challenge. Something that's possible with hard work.

At the start of lockdown, I bought myself an exercise bike. I've been riding most days, trying to create a replacment for my usual walk-to-work commute. It's been a good distraction. I started off by managing 10k at a time. My weekly distance has reached about 75km.


This morning I woke up a bit early and decided to do some exercise whilst watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy (thankfully back on Sky). I covered 19.5km in 42 minutes whilst Meredith saved lives and the general drama at Grey Sloan unfolded.


I won't be able to run 100km on 6th June. 

But maybe I can cycle it instead. 

On my exercise bike. 

In my lounge. 

Watching the canal through the window. Or a box set on Netflix.

I'm definitely not going to manage it without a few breaks along the way - but then the breaks were my favourite parts of my Race to the King adventure.

But it seems like something I can aim for.

If we are out of lockdown, give me a wave through the window or pedal along with for a few kilometres if you can.

If we are all still at home, join in on your exercise bike if you've got one.

It may not have the wow factor of other challenges but it will be certainly something that tests me. It will give me a focus and make sure I stay active and stay at home.

And it's a new challenge. And I like those.



So I'll give it a go.

Happy cycling.

LizT

Comments

  1. Nice one Liz. Is that the Cauldon canal as your view? See ya when the new normal is the old one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B