Skip to main content

Finishing with a Smile and then Starting All Over Again!

At the start of 2019, I set myself the challenge of publishing a blog post every week during the year - 52 weeks, 52 posts.

My motivation was to get back to something I loved doing, something I'd missed, something I'd started several years ago but then lost my way. I thought I'd run out of things to write about.

On Sunday, I achieved my goal. I wrote about eating profiteroles for breakfast. It wasn't always easy. Some posts were longer than others. Some were only written right at the last moment.

I did it! I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face (mainly thanks to those profiteroles).


But what did I learn? About myself, about running and about life in general?

1. Inspiration can come from anyone and anything... it can be easy to think that you need something 'big' to get you started. At the start of 2019, I certainly had lots of inspiration to run and blog as I completed an ultramarathon along the River Thames. I've also been inspired and encouraged by the running exploits of club mates or the people I meet through running. But sometimes, little things can make a difference too; it can be as simple as a forgotten scarf,  a chatty run with a friend, an encouraging comment from a stranger, a poster on a café wall or the lyrics of a song. The trick has just beem to keep my eyes open and take action when inspiration struck.



2. If you want to improve, you need to put in the effort... it sounds obvious, but we all sometimes expect magic to happen. It takes effort in training if you want to run faster. You need to step out of your comfort zone and take a few chances. You need to be brave and face your fears. You need to change your habits. For the last few months, I've made a conscious effort to bring speed work back into my training. I've run laps of the lake in Hanley Park. I've run up and down one little stretch of canal. I've pushed myself and I've seen results. By the end of the year, I'd run my fastest parkrun at Hanley since 2014 (and my fastest by age grade ever at Western Springs in New Zealand).


3. Celebrate your achievements (big or small)... crumpets, lemon bakewells and pizza were part of my celebrations after completing a big week of training in April. At the end of June, I celebrated getting half way through my blogging challenge with a lovely glass of wine. In July, I ran my 250th parkrun. It took me nearly 8 years of parkrunning to achieve it. I've run at events in the UK, Ireland, Germany, France, Australia and New Zealand. I had a great day with lots of different parkrun friends to mark the occasion. In November, we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with a tickets to a special performance of Les Miserables and a trip to New Zealand.


4. There will be days when you just don't want to or you can't... sometimes work gets in the way, sometimes it's the weather, sometimes things don't get to plan or you just feel tired and need and rest. It's ok. Not every run needs to be perfect. There will be days when you need to accept things 'just because'. Don't despair. Take a moment. Have a rest. Have coffee with a friend. Go for a walk. Volunteer. Play crazy golf. Watch the sunrise. See point 1 above - inspiration will come from somewhere. It always does.


5. Keep challenging yourself... I started 2019 with the challenge to blog every week. Throughout the year I've set myself lots of little challenges too, such as finding the 'wow' factor in every run or just running a race.. In August, I gave up eating sweets. In September, I was challenged to eat a different kind of fruit every day for the whole month. I ate familiar favourites and tried a few new and slightly unusual alternatives too. I was really proud of myself for completing the challenge - I think we celebrated with a fruit salad. The challenge has switched to vegetables for January 2020 - we are starting with broccoli. 


That's some helpful lessons for me for 2020 right there, especially as my big running challenge for the next few months is already set... I'll be racing to Bamburgh Castle in June. There will be tough moments but I'll keep putting in the effort, taking inspiration from wherever I can but especially from my running buddies. I'm hopeful we will have something big to celebrate in June but will celebrate all the little achievements on the way too.



But there was something more though; I didn't just want to run and write for myself. I also wanted what I was writing to be read by friends and family and inspire them to take on new challenges too.

I think I've succeeded - thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read, comment and send me messages of support and kind words. It makes a real difference and spurs me on to run and blog some more in 2020.

Hope you'll join me for the adventure.

I've already started... and I've got two feet in the air!

Photo Credit - Mick Hall


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B